Almost exactly a year ago, my whole life turned into a
crazymessyterrifyingdisaster and now that the storm (I mean, it was like a Cat
5 tornadicanequake) has passed and the sunlight is peeking through, I can
finally look back and see how God held me through it all.
“You hem me in behind and before and You lay Your hand upon
me.”
-Psalm
139:5
Last August, within a matter of days of each other, I moved
out of my apt with Baby Daddy (BD)and quit my job. Obviously, those two events occurring
simultaneously make perfect sense. Or the opposite of perfect sense. But the
environment I was in at my job was destroying me and I knew I was in too
vulnerable of a position with my personal life to stay there and survive. To
say my world spontaneously combusted is an accurate description. No family
within 300 miles, no job, no money.
The night I moved out (and into my life coach/guardian
angel/ginger bestie’s brand new house she had bought like 14 seconds before
that), Faithy and I (and my severance pay) wandered aimlessly around Walmart at
9pm. I found the cheapest toddler bed and mattress I could find and threw it in
my cart. I could feel the judging eyes around me…
“What kind of mom brings her 2 year old to go shopping at
9pm?!”
I gave the classy clientele surrounding me the stink eye …
they chose a bad night to mess with me.
“LOOK AT ME THAT WAY ONE MORE TIME AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!”
Yeah right. 1) Nobody at WallyWorld would ever look at me
weird for having a 2 year old there at 9pm because just about everyone else
there had their kids too. #ResponsibleMomsUnite 2) Like I am really brave enough to mad dog
someone at WALMART late at night.
I immediately started freelancing and making enough to
basically pay rent and my car payment. Mandie worked from home, so I did my
best to keep Faith out of the house during the day. Days were a blur. The park,
Monkey Joe’s, Barnes & Noble…anything to keep a wild 2 year old entertained.
Me and F shared a bedroom, and at night I would put her to sleep in her Minnie Mouse
toddler bed, but half the time I would pick her up and bring her to bed with me
later on. Two of us in my little twin bed. Uncomfortable, but she was my
lifeline. Something about the smell of her Dora shampoo kept me sane. Dang, I
love that kid.
Me and BD’s custody agreement is 50/50. Saturday nights
before I had to give her back, after she went to bed, I would sit on my couch
with a glass (or 2) of wine and dread the next day. It’s like giving half your
heart away every other week.
I discovered that running was a healthier outlet than
bottles of wine and frozen pizza. The irony is that I looked like an awkward, drunk
Clydesdale every time I stepped on the treadmill, so that’s a treat...looking intoxicated without feeling the actual buzz. But I
learned to channel my frustration and stress into exercise.
I avoided dramatic Facebook confessions about the genuine
disaster my life had become. 1) It ain’t nunya biznass, FB world. 2) to protect
F. I think it’s completely tacky to bash your ex publicly, especially when a
kid is involved. That little girl loves her daddy and he loves her. End of
story.
I went on job interview after job interview. I made it to
the final rounds 4 TIMES. And then got rejected.
DAMMIT, I AM QUALIFIED FOR ALL THESE JOBS!!!
I saw a career coach and he said, “You have to learn to sell
yourself better, Shannon.”
Hmmm.
“I am 30 years old, mid-divorce, halfway unemployed, broke…but
I am a damn good mom and my legs are now in GREAT shape. I mean, seriously. My
quads are rock solid. Just please don’t mention anything about my family or
Chicago because I am crazy homesick. And if you do, I will scoot my chair over
to you and not-so-delicately lay my head on your shoulder and weep for 26
minutes. And I am a horribly ugly crier. So please…let’s move on…and pretend
this never happened…I’ll show myself to the door, thanks…”
As soon as I got paid for my freelance gig, I would pack up
my Kia and Faithy and drive the million miles to Rock(&roll)ford to stay
with my sister and her fam. I’m tellin’ ya – if you don’t know Heather &
Troy DeCook, you’re missing out. They are the salt of the earth (what does that
phrase even mean?!) and they took SUCH good care of me and my boo.
Actually, the support came in the most random ways. I would
get Starbucks gift cards in the mail from sweet friends, insightful messages
from friends on FB who had no idea what was going on with me, invited to people’s
family holiday meals….the love was overwhelming. God uses people to bless other
people!
THANKFUL.
Fast forward to March 2013. Somehow, Mandie managed to not
lose her mind, despite the pure chaos that Faithy and I brought to her house.
And we finally moved into our own little teeny apartment. I got a job. I started
going back to counseling on my own. My sweet girl and I survived (and are totes
BFF now). For the first time in 7 months, I could breathe.
It’s like that cheesy “Footprints” poem that I freaking love
so much….looking back, when I thought I was alone…but He was carrying me the
whole time. Through Him, I am so much stronger than I ever deemed possible.
You never know what kind of chaos someone else might be
going through. Love people HARD and without condition. Make an occasional
sacrifice for someone else. Send that encouraging note. Take someone out to
coffee. Be someone’s anchor, their happy place. Show them Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment